Simply Soldered at Moxie Beads

July 23, 2013


This past weekend I attended what I would like to call a little jewelry making continuing education class. And while it wasn’t at the GIA it was at the quaint little Moxie Beads located on the north end of Main Street in Santa Monica. I could go on about Moxies extremely friendly and very knowledgeable staff, but I will save my wordy praise of customer service for a later dated yelp review.


Basic Soldering 101 was the class and Christy was the fabulous instructor. Christy started us off with some soldering basics from familiarizing ourselves with our work station, basic safety, getting to know the tools we were to be working with and lastly the process. Since I mainly work with wire wrapping and rings are my specialty I was super excited about gaining the knowledge behind the joining of two metals. The class focused on working with sterling silver and we began with getting the soldering technique down, this was perfect because we had ample time to practice practice practice, make mistakes, ask questions and then try again. We did this by practicing on closing jump rings and while I don’t anticipate myself using my skills to make jump rings in the future this was a great place to hone in on the art.

 After we worked on that for a bit Christy taught us to make our own toggle clasp, but also left us to our own devices to get creative. I decided to work more on rings. From cleaning, pickling, soldering, pickling again and then shaping I worked on a variety of mini stackables.

If you follow me on IG you have already had a chance to check out my brief workshop video, but if not you can enjoy below.

If you are interested in possibly taking up a new hobby and have a love for jewelry, I suggested looking into the classes that Moxie Beads offer. They are affordable, informative and come with 2 extra hours of in store bench time to return and practice more of what you learned! This place truly has something to offer everyone. I left Moxie Beads with my very own soldering kit which they conveniently packaged for our option to buy and I couldn’t be more excited to set up my very own work station at home and get to work on some fun creations of my own!  

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Perrin and Stone . Design by FCD.