Shake Shake Shake, Shake Your Jewelry!

August 22, 2011

DIY Jewelry Tumbler :
Ok so here I am again with a DIY I couldn’t swear by more! I must admit, I was a bit skeptical to begin with but after putting this method to the test, I couldn’t be happier! This past weekend I spent the later part of my Sunday finishing up a jewelry order which included about 10 bangles in total. I wasn’t too happy with the way they were turning out as far as their shine... After wire wrapping and hammering, my basic polishing cloth was doing nothing more than adding to my frustrations and I am always weary of using store bought polishing solutions. I decided to phone a friend... ok I decided to phone my mom after remembering her telling me about a jewelry making class she took where the instructor swore by her homemade jewelry tumbler!  
The hardest part of this DIY project was disposing of the mayo {insert icky face here! Blaugh!}Other than that it was easy peasy! Jewelry tumblers can be bought for upwards of $200, but with about 10-15 min of your time and the following items you can have your very own that works just as well for about $40 (depending on where you buy your tumbling shot)
Things you will need:
  • Clear Plastic Mayo Jar
  • Blue Dawn Dishwashing Soap
  • Stainless Steel Tumbling Shot
Pour tumbling shot into jar, add enough hot water so that it covers the shot with a bit of room and lastly add a cap full of dishwashing liquid in with shot and hot water. Drop your pieces of jewelry in the jar and Shake, shake, shake! Give it a good shake for a few minutes. Remove your pieces, rinse and voilĂ ! Don't forget to dry your shot when you are done!

 

3 comments

  1. Hi JLynn. Thanks a million for this great DIY Tumbler. I've been wanting to purchase one for years but the price as always been an issue. I was about to bite the bullet when i ran across your article.

    All I can say is WOW!!! My silver pieces came out stunning, strong, and shinny as a brand new coin.

    Thanks again for bringing creativity and cost savings to a very expensive process!!!

    Hellena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if, instead of shaking it, could it be put in the dryer on a cool setting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did the dryer work out (presuming, of course, that you attempted it) ��

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Perrin and Stone . Design by FCD.